Recipe for Macheteadas, a Delicious Honduran Snack that is Savory and Sweet
Honduras is one country that is not only famous for its biodiversity, but also for its charming exotic tourist attractions. In addition, the culinary tour is no less delicious than its neighboring countries. There are many foods that are must try when visiting this country.
One of them is macheteadas. This food is one of the most popular types of snack or delicious snack from Honduras. Even this food is touted as bringing good luck to the inhabitants of this country. Its sweet taste is certainly suitable for sweet lovers.
Here’s a recipe for macheteadas, a delicious Honduran treat that’s both savory and sweet. Addictive you know!
1. The ingredients required
- 3 1/3 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- 1 1/4 cups warm water
- Canola oil for frying
- Maple syrup, agave, powdered sugar, or honey for sprinkling on top of cakes
2. Make a flour dough
- First, in a large bowl, sieve the flour, baking powder, coconut oil and salt.
- Then make a hole in the center and add water and add the eggs.
- Gently stir the flour until it forms a dough.
- Next, transfer it to a clean and lightly floured dough area and stir the dough gently for about 5-7 minutes.
- The dough should feel soft and flexible so that it is easy to shape.
3. Form a dough
- Divide the dough into 12 equal portions.
- Then grease your hands with a little oil so that when forming the dough becomes easier and shape it into 12 uniform balls.
- Put it back in the bowl. Cover with a clean cloth and let stand for 45 minutes.
- Heat the oil over medium heat (not too high).
- Place each of ball to dough on a lightly floured surface.
- Roll out each section with the aid of a rolling pin and roll until each tortilla is about 1/8 inch thick and 6 inches in diameter.
- Make 3-4 slits with a sharp knife.
- Fry each tortilla until both sides are golden brown.
4. Sprinkle the cake
After draining the cake, let it stand for a while until it is not too hot. Then sprinkle the cake with maple syrup, honey, or agave. It could also be refined sugar.
After that, the macheteadas are ready to be enjoyed! How to make it easy, right? You don’t need to go to Honduras to taste it because you can do it at home!